A calm lake, tall pines, and cabins... a perfect summer retreat! Summer camps sit in some of the most breathtaking land in Maine and with a short camp season they are more than willing to host the Maine wedding of your dreams. Yes, campers take over from mid June to mid August, but there is still plenty of great weather left. September is one of my favorite months for a summer camp wedding. Lately, weather wise, September seems to be the new July! Like my wife isn’t ready for back to school teacher life because it sooooo nice out still.
Beyond the amazing lakeside most summer camps offer other benefits as well.
1. DIY heaven- For the diy wedding couple, you can do a lot of your own decor and ideas. Check out Pinterest. Don’t worry you don’t have to DIY if you don’t want to. There is plenty of help out there!
2. Lodging- If your guests don’t mind bunks and cabins you’ll have plenty of room. Camp Mataponi on Sebago lake offers logging for 300 plus! If they don’t want to camp, there are camps located close to hotels as well.
3. Tables and Seating- They often feed hundreds of campers, so a large wedding will be a piece of cake.
4. Outdoor Ceremony Sites- Whether you are looking for view or rustic charm, they’ve got it covered. From benches overlooking the water to an amphitheater draped and decorated, you can go rustic or more stylish.
5. Inside Ceremony/ Reception Spaces- Larger camps often have some pretty cool inside spaces as well. Old gymnasiums, dining halls, and rec halls can be great indoor locations should you be worried about the weather raining on your day.
6. Activity Space- Beaches, fields, tennis courts, and water sports. If you are making it multi-day event there will plenty for your guest to do! If that isn’t their cup of tea, there is also plenty of space to relax. More on this below...